We can spend a lot of time and energy trying to understand ourselves – who we are, what makes us matter and why we are even here. In this second installation of the message series, Who Am I, Josh Mutter talks about what it means to be a child of God, and how to take on a brand new identity (and take off an old one) as one of God’s Children.
WHO AM I?
Message by Josh Mutter – November 4, 2018
I AM A CHILD OF GOD
Everyone has been created in the image of God and this means that we are objects of God’s desire and affection.
John 1:12 (NIV) …to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God…
- Receiving Jesus: Welcoming Jesus into our lives
- Believing in Jesus: Giving Jesus our trust and allegiance
Romans 8:15 (NIV) The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”
- As people God created in his own image, God longs to bring us into his family and is overjoyed when we accept the invitation of Jesus to join in the life of the family.
- What God offers us through Jesus is an opportunity to be known by more than our shortcomings and successes.
Invitation: Consider welcoming Jesus into your life and trusting him.
THE PROCESS OF BECOMING
Ephesians 4:21-24 (NLT) Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.
1. Have grace for yourself as you grow into your identity as a child of God.
2. Have grace for others who are growing in their identity as a child of God.
3. Nurture the process of transformation.