June 2013 -Changes! Change is a natural part of life – welcomed by some and resisted by others. By now most of you have heard of some of the leadership changes that will be taking place this summer within the Leadership of BIC Canada. Our Canadian Director Darrell Winger recently tendered his resignation and the Leadership Team has begun the search for his successor. Darrell will be continuing in the Executive Director position until a new leader is found. Darrell has given effective leadership to BIC Canada as we have navigated a lot of change in recent years. Craig & Laura Sider have also resigned to begin a new chapter of their lives and ministry in New York City as Craig becomes President of the New York Center For Leadership this summer. I have appreciated working with all of these people. With several changes converging like this people inevitably ask: “Is everything ok?” Please let me assure you that things are positive in BIC Canada and that these staff changes are very much about people answering God’s continued call on their lives. We give thanks for the ministry each of these people have had among us even while we look forward to the new things God wants to do going forward. May we all be able to have a larger “kingdom imagination” to consider the new things God might be up to – as one door closes God is always opening others! Have a great summer!
Team Leader – BIC Community Churches
Community Church Pastors & Ministry Leaders Day
BIC Pastors & Ministry Leaders gathered recently (May 30) for a day of equipping focused around preaching and teaching. Our guest resource person was Allan Robinson, Pastor of Carlisle BIC Church and the new leader of the BIC Church in the USA. Alan gave us great insight into how we can be better communicators. The day also gave opportunity for fellowship among our Pastoral Team and updates about things going on across the BIC Church in Canada.
Summer Community Church Internships
We’re so excited to welcome a new wave of summer ministry interns to our Community Churches. Internships are a great way to give young adults valuable opportunity for experience while also blessing local churches with their gifts and skills. And … oh yeah – helping students out with a summer job isn’t a bad thing either. In May our interns went through a 3 day orientation meeting with various leaders and Pastors. You can follow their comings and goings on their blog through the BIC Canada web-site. Community Churches with interns are: Fallsview, Port Colborne, Wainfleet, Pelham Friends, New Hope, New Life, Stayner, Covenant, and Massey Place. Why not plan now for next summer to have an intern at your church!
Camp Kahquah Kicking Into Full Gear
Another great summer of ministry is planned for Camp Kahquah – our church camp near Magnetewan ON. Whether it’s a kids camp, family camp or Seniors & Retirees retreats, camp promises to be a place of life change and refreshment this summer. Many students and adults will be involved as well serving at camp this summer. Keep the camp in your prayers and support it in any way you can. To find out more go to www.campkahquah.com.
BIC Canada Summer Book Club
This summer people from across all of our BIC Church expressions in Canada are invited to together read the book Unfinished by Rich Stearns (President of World Vision U.S.) and to follow the Facebook page to join the weekly discussion. If you read one chapter a week starting in June you will finish the book by Labor Day! Get the book, read, follow along and respond to God’s call of compassion!
Betty Albrecht Challenge
BIC Community Churches across Canada responded generously this past April to the Betty Albrecht Challenge by giving over $50,000. The funds will be well used for Church Planting in Canada and global mission work in Malawi and Kenya. Thank you so much!
Community Church Youth Ministry (Student Ministries Team)
Our Community Church Youth Ministries exists to support local churches in working with students, providing training and refreshment for youth workers, and planning key events where BIC Students can gather and hear about Jesus. Here’s 3 highlights:
- Several Community Church youth groups attended the Pitch & Praise youth weekend in Paris, ON over the long weekend in May. The event saw 2000 students and leaders gather to hear great Christian speakers and bands and enjoy and opportunity for kids to grow in their faith, have fun, and meet new friends in a great atmosphere.
- Join us Saturday June 8th from 10AM-4PM for Sanctuary: A Youth Worker’s Soul Care Day with Christopher Marchand at Westheights Community Church in Kitchener. Christopher is the lead pastor at Niverville Community Fellowship, a vibrant Anabaptist faith-community in Southern Manitoba and has served in youth ministry for over 20 years in various roles including Associate Professor at Providence College. There is no charge except a donation for lunch. Register through the SMT Facebook Page.
- Once again we are offering an intensive leadership training and discipleship experience through the YouthBuilder Team program. We are partnering with Mike & Melri Wright and their team at Ledge Leadership to train and oversee this team. The experience will be from September 2013 to June 2014 and will include visits to various Community Churches to assist churches in their youth ministry efforts. For more information contact Mike Wright at Ledge Leadership – www.ledgeleadership.com.
Kit Challenge for MCC
Thanks so much to all of you who have participated in our BIC Kit Challenge making various “kits” for MCC to help with their global compassion efforts. At our Annual General Meeting May 4 it was announced that Community Churches contributed over 1000 Kits. Way to go! It’s not to soon to start thinking about what your church might want to do toward the Kit Challenge for 2013-14. Many of our churches take advantage of back to school in September to ask families to make School Kits.
Randy Stonehill In Concert – Saturday, June 15 at 7:00 p.m.
Randy Stonehill, one of the pioneers of contemporary Christian music, will be performing at Westheights Church in Kitchener. Special guest Jay Calder opening. Cost: $15. Tickets can be purchased by calling Westheights Church (519) 741-1986.
Finding the Hope – Grey & Bruce County
Sauble Christian Fellowship recently sponsored a community wide outreach called “Finding The Hope” designed to spread the good news of Jesus to their community through a web-site and a direct mailer to every home. For more go to www.saublechristianfellowship.org.
Pastoral Team Updates From Across Brethren In Christ Community Churches
- Dale Collier (Gloria) was inducted March 3rd as the new Pastor of Stayner BIC Church.
- Steve Paterson (Cathy) was inducted as the new Pastor of New Hope Christian Fellowship (Belleville) on May 5.
- Charlie Mashinter is assisting Pathway Community Church in Kitchener in providing interim pastoral leadership as the congregation navigates a time of transition moving toward new Pastoral leadership.
- Pastor Elise Robitaille of Covenant Church in Penetanguishine will be taking some time off from ministry this summer as her husband faces a significant treatment for cancer. Keep Elise and her husband Roger in your prayers.
- Sauble Christian Fellowship and Welland BIC Church continue the search process for new Pastoral leadership as their current Pastors approach retirement.
- Wainfleet BIC Church is searching for a Sr. High / Young Adults & Young Families Pastor. You can read the job posting on the BIC Canada web-site.
- Pastor Jeff Aitken will be concluding ministry as Associate Pastor at Welland BIC at the end of July.
- Pastor Michael Climenhaga has resigned effective June 30 as the Pastor of Birchdale Community BIC Church (Near Hunstville ON). Michael has been pastoring the church while working full time as a teacher. We are so grateful for his commitment to doing this over the 2 years. A search has begun for a new Pastor and interim pulpit supply will be procured.
It’s great to see so many of our Community Churches with social media presence on Facebook and Twitter.
For more news follow BIC Community Churches on Twitter at @BICCommChurches or like our page on Facebook (BIC Canada – Community Churches). Follow Student Ministries at the BIC SMT Facebook Page.