Pastor Bill continued with the sermon series on “More Of What Matters” with a message about what we can do to create harmony in our relationships by paying attention and caring. But first, we watched this humorous, but accurate, video: It’s Not About the Nail.
MORE OF WHAT MATTERS: MORE ATTENTION TO OUR RELATIONSHIPS
Message by Bill Johnston – June 10, 2018
Neglect – definition (Dictionary.com / Canadian Oxford Dictionary):
1. To pay little or no due attention to, or, to disregard
2. To be remiss in the care or treatment of, or, to fail to care for or to do
3. To fail, overlook or forget the need to – through indifference or carelessness
Ephesians 5:28-29 … husbands ought to love their wives as they love their own bodies. For a man who loves his wife actually shows love for himself. No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church.
Proverbs 8:33 Listen to my instruction and be wise. Don’t ignore it.
1 Timothy 4:14 Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received through the prophecy spoken over you when the elders of the church laid their hands on you.
Hebrews 13:2 (NASB) Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.
Matthew 23:23 What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.
TWO IMPORTANT PRINCIPLES
1. What you neglect will LANGUISH and eventually DIE.
2. What you give attention to will GROW and eventually THRIVE.
WHAT GOD PROVIDES, HE EXPECTS US TO APPLY (Philippians 2:1)
1. ENCOURAGEMENT – “Is there any encouragement from my belonging to Christ?”
2. COMFORT – “Any comfort from Christ’s love?”
3. FELLOWSHIP – “Any fellowship together in the Spirit?”
4. COMPASSION – “Are your hearts tender and compassionate?”
Philippians 4:9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.
THE DO’S AND DON’TS OF RELATIONSHIPS (Philippians 2:2-4)
1. DO BE FLEXIBLE – “Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other.”
2. DO BE LOVING – “… loving one another.”
3. DO COOPERATE – “… and working together with one mind and purpose.”
4. DON’T BE SELFISH – “Don’t be selfish.”
5. DON’T OVERPROMISE AND UNDERDELIVER – “…don’t try to impress others.”
6. DO BE HUMBLE – “Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.”
7. DON’T BE SELF-SERVING – “Don’t look out only for your own interests.”
8. DO BE SELF-GIVING – “…but take an interest in others, too.”
1. Identify a relationship that needs a little more of your attention (or a lot!).
2. Determine what you could do that would breathe life into the relationship.
3. Start today! Do the right thing; give your attention, because you care.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Amazon Music | RSS