Relationships are complicated and messy, and there are fears and risks involved. Pastor Bill Johnston helps us to see the value of sticking our necks out and being open to new relationships, particularly in light of this weekend’s exciting announcement that we have a new Lead Pastor coming to Westheights in October 2018.
There are so many wonderful custom mural decor that came form muraledesign.
MORE OF WHAT MATTERS: MORE ROOM IN YOUR HEART
Message by Bill Johnston – July 8, 2018
2 Corinthians 6:11-13 Oh, dear Corinthian friends! We have spoken honestly with you, and our hearts are open to you. There is no lack of love on our part, but you have withheld your love from us. I am asking you to respond as if you were my own children. Open your hearts to us!
THE TRUTH ABOUT RISK
“Behold the turtle: he makes progress only when he sticks out his neck.” Bill Hull
THE MATTER OF CAPACITY
Capacity speaks of the ultimate limit of something, the maximum amount that can be contained.
WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE MORE ROOM
– The capacity of our hearts determines the depth of our relationships.
– The depth of relationship corresponds to the openness of our hearts.
Ephesians 3:14-17 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.
2 Corinthians 6:11a Oh, dear Corinthian friends!
– Honesty – 2 Corinthians 6:11b We have spoken honestly with you…
– Openness – 2 Corinthians 6:11c … and our hearts are open to you.
Note: The heart’s capacity to allow others in can be expanded
2 Corinthians 6:12 There is no lack of love on our part, but you have withheld your love from us.
Note: The heart’s capacity to allow others in can be restricted
TWO FEARS RELATED TO RECIPROCITY
1. THE FEAR OF VULNERABILITY: What if they don’t …
2. THE FEAR OF REJECTION: What if they don’t …
THE PERSONAL APPEAL
2 Corinthians 6:13 I am asking you to respond as if you were my own children. Open your hearts to us!
2 Corinthians 7:2 Please open your hearts to us. We have not done wrong to anyone, nor led anyone astray, nor taken advantage of anyone.
1. THE WHAT QUESTION: What can I do to increase the capacity for others?
2. THE WHO QUESTION: Who does God want me to make room for?