This week’s teaching was delivered by Terry Wiens who has been attending Westheights Church for 18 years. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Religious studies. Terry works in the financial sector, enjoys technology and continues to study theology in his spare time. He has been married to his wife Jenn for 20 years and together they have three children.
THE SURRENDERED LIFE
Message by Terry Wiens – April 7, 2019
DON’T MISS OUT ON JESUS
Matthew 21:1-11 NLT As Jesus and the disciples approached Jerusalem, they came to the town of Bethphage on the Mount of Olives. Jesus sent two of them on ahead. “Go into the village over there,” he said. “As soon as you enter it, you will see a donkey tied there, with its colt beside it. Untie them and bring them to me. If anyone asks what you are doing, just say, ‘The Lord needs them,’ and he will immediately let you take them.”
This took place to fulfill the prophecy that said, “Tell the people of Jerusalem, ‘Look, your King is coming to you. He is humble, riding on a donkey—riding on a donkey’s colt.’” The two disciples did as Jesus commanded. They brought the donkey and the colt to him and threw their garments over the colt, and he sat on it.
Most of the crowd spread their garments on the road ahead of him, and others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. Jesus was in the centre of the procession, and the people all around him were shouting, “Praise God for the Son of David! Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Praise God in highest heaven!” The entire city of Jerusalem was in an uproar as he entered. “Who is this?” they asked.
And the crowds replied, “It’s Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.”
KEYS TO UNDERSTANDING THIS PASSAGE
- Through the donkey, Jesus declares who he really is
- The people accept his declaration of kingship and celebrate
- The same crowd that shouted in celebration will soon shout, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”
WHO MISSED OUT ON JESUS
2. Sadducees: Relationship with God is found in the temple and in religion
3. Essenes: Relationship with God is found in the right political state
4. Pharisees: Relationship with God is found by following the rules
KEY POINT: Everyone had good intentions, but they still missed out on Jesus
HOW MIGHT WE MISS OUT ON JESUS?
1. By missing out on the opportunity to love others
2. By keeping people out of the church
3. Because of unwritten rules that make people feel unwelcome
KEY POINT: Intentions don’t matter—how people feel is what matters
HOW DO WE KEEP FROM MISSING OUT ON JESUS?
1. Put Jesus on our agenda
2. Figuring out Jesus’ agenda through:
b. House Church
c. Learning for yourself
d. Reading with an open mind
e. Understanding how Jesus prioritized relationships over rules