There’s a familiar phrase that we hear so much that we don’t really consider its meaning: “Confession is good for the soul.” In this message, Pastor Josh digs deeper into the transformation that happens with confession as an important spiritual practice.
SPIRITUAL STUFF FOR THE EVERYDAY SOUL
Message by Josh Mutter – October 20, 2019
WHEN WE PRACTICE CONFESSION …
1. We are liberated from sin
2. Sin will look and feel less attractive
HOW DO WE PRACTICE CONFESSION?
1. We practice confession by preparing to confess our sins
Psalm 19:12 NIV But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults.
2. We practice confession through self-examination
Matthew 7:3-5 NIV Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
During self-examination, ask:
– Why did I do what I did?
– What happened as a result of my sin?
James 4:8-10 NIV Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
3. We practice confession through declaring our intentions
4. As we practice confession, we experience grace