Message by Josh Mutter – December 19, 2021
Big Idea: Jesus introduces us to the life-giving peace of God.
The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
a light has dawned.
You have enlarged the nation
and increased their joy;
they rejoice before you
as people rejoice at the harvest,
as warriors rejoice
when dividing the plunder.
For as in the day of Midian’s defeat,
you have shattered
the yoke that burdens them,
the bar across their shoulders,
the rod of their oppressor.
Every warrior’s boot used in battle
and every garment rolled in blood
will be destined for burning,
will be fuel for the fire.
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the Lord Almighty
will accomplish this.
The Peace of Jesus results in harmony in our relationship with God.
- She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins. – Matthew 1:21 NIV
The Peace of Jesus is grown in us by the Holy Spirit.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Matthew 5:9 NIV
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. – Galatians 5:22-23a NIV
The Peace of Jesus is expressed in our relationships with others.
- We express the peace of Jesus as we take our relationships with others seriously.
…he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. 2 Corinthians 5:19-20 NIV
- We express the peace of Jesus when our relationships aren’t limited to those who are like us.
For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility… – Ephesians 2:14 NIV
- We express the peace of Jesus when we repay evil with kindness.
You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbour and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you… – Matthew 5:43-44 NIV
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21 NIV
You can watch the sermon on Youtube here.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Amazon Music | RSS