“Our great desire is that you will keep on loving others as long as life lasts, in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true.” Hebrews 6:11 (NLT)
Pray for steadfast faithfulness and a deeper, continually growing relationship with God.
- Praise God for who He is
- Confess your sinfulness and need for cleansing
- Allow His Spirit to draw you near
- Listen as He speaks to you
- Pray for humility in your own life to accept and overcome your shortcomings.
- Pray for someone you find difficult to love.
- Pray for others with the same difficulty as you.
- Pray that you will show your humility to others
- Thank God for hearing you.
- Trust that God is at work to accomplish His will.
“It is cheaper to pardon than to resent. Forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred.” (Hannah Moore)
Being a Christian in today’s world isn’t always easy. We get so caught up in day-to-day living that sometimes it’s just easier to read through your bible, say a quick prayer and be done with it. And loving others? Well, that’s asking a bit much, isn’t it? But God wants so much more from us and for us.
Hebrews 6 encourages us to go beyond the basics of Christianity and move toward a more mature understanding of faith and a deeper relationship with God. By growing in God’s love, our future hope, reaching into God’s presence, will be certain.
Colossians 3:12-14 tells us to clothe ourselves in seven virtues bound by an eighth – love. Through these virtues, we deal with people with love. And when we come across a person we find difficult to love, these verses help us to forgive, just like we are forgiven.
A few years ago, there was someone I had my difficulties with. While moaning to my mom one day, she suggested that I pray and ask God to help me to love that person. Focusing on loving instead of moaning really changed my perspective. And always remember that Jesus died for each one of us, even the difficult ones. Through loving and caring for God’s people, our future hope is made certain.
Contributed by: Katie Buchnea