We had a terrific turnout for our chili cook-off with 10 brave competitors and plenty of enthusiastic judges who voted with their beans. Click here to read about our Winterfest event and chili cook-off.
We crowned our chili champ of our second chili cook-off. Congratulations, Lisa Coates-Cameron! She was graciously willing to share her recipe, which is as follows:
Lisa’s Amazing Chili Recipe
1 lb of ground beef/pork mix
1 medium green pepper (diced)
1 medium onion (diced)
2 cloves of garlic (diced)
2 tsp. of salt
1 tsp. of black pepper
¼ tsp. of crushed chilli seeds
2 cans of tomato sauce (680 ml each)
1 can of chilli flavoured tomatoes (796 ml)
1 tbsp. of canned chopped green chillies
2 tbsp. of chilli powder
1 tbsp. of garlic powder
1 tbsp. of sugar
2 cans of kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
½ cup of crushed Doritos chips
*All measurements are approximate as I never measured my ingredients.
- Brown meat in frying pan, add diced green pepper, garlic and onion. Continue on medium heat until green pepper, onion and garlic has softened.
- Add salt, black pepper and crushed chilli seeds to meat mixture.
- Add meat mixture to slow cooker and set to medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned chillies, chilli powder, garlic powder and sugar. Stir mixture.
- Add kidney beans and stir again. Let simmer on medium heat for 3-4 hours.
- Sprinkle cheese and Doritos on top of chilli just prior to serving.