PROVERBS: WISDOM OF WORDS
Message by Dave Patterson – August 27, 2023
Big Idea: Our tongues are powerful instruments for building people up or tearing them down. If ever we needed God’s wisdom, it is to know how to tame the tongue! Proverbs offers tremendous insights.
1. Words Matter
- God spoke creation into being. (Genesis 1:1-3)
- Jesus is the Word of God, who was with God from the beginning but took on flesh to live among us. (John 1:1, John 1:14)
- Paul’s best example to prove to us we all possess a sinful nature is our mouths which he called open graves, deceitful, poisonous and bitter. (Romans 3:10-14)
2. The Harsh Reality – Bad News Lessons
- Loose lips (Proverbs 20:19)
- Sly tongues (Proverbs 25:23)
- Misleading mouths (Proverbs 24:28)
- Wordy words (Proverbs 10:19)
- Listening ears (Proverbs 17:4)
- Brain before mouth (Proverbs 12:18, Proverbs 18:1)
3. Soothing Speech – Good News Lessons
- Spiritual CPR (Proverbs 10:11)
- Wise words heal hearts (Proverbs 12:18, Proverbs 15:4)
- Easy does it (Proverbs 15:1)
- Powerful words (Proverbs 18:21)
- Considerate counsel (Proverbs 15:28)
- Reception and rejection (Proverbs 15:31)
4. Our Inside Voice
- We are hard-wired for negative memories and for negative self-talk.
- We need to flip the script and tell ourselves a different story.
A Declaration of Truth:
Say it and mean it: Who am I? Why am I here? Where am I going?
You can listen to the sermon on YouTube here.
About Dave Patterson: Dave Patterson came from the GTA area and moved here in the 1980s to study kinesiology. Through the years he has worked as a youth pastor for ten years, as lead pastor for six years, and as a kinesiologist off and on throughout the years. Dave and his wife have been attending Westheights for three years. Dave is an extreme extrovert with boundless energy so feel free to approach him; he loves a great conversation!